Andrew McKiernan is an author, illustrator, designer and web developer who has been involved in graphic design for over 12 years. He runs his own graphic design business, Kephra Design, and was recently included as a feature artist in "Australian Speculative Fiction - A Genre Overview".
Andrew is one of the founding editors of 'HorrorScope - Australian Dark Fantasy News & Reviews' webzine, Art Director for Aurealis Magazine and a member of the 'Australian Horror Writers Association'.
His novella "Calliope: A Steam Romance" recently appeared in the "Shadow Plays" anthology. Future stories are scheduled to appear in "Macabre: A New Era in Australian Horror", Black Box e-anthology, Aurealis, Shadowed Realms webzine and the In Bad Dreams 2 anthology from Eneit Press.
His regular column and 3-panel comic strip "Black Roads, Dark Highways" will make its first appearance in Black Magazine from issue #2 (Sept 2008).
He currently resides in Sydney with his wife, two children and a cat.
- Calliope: A Steam Romance - Shadows Plays anthology (April 2007)
"Calliope is an impressive fictional debut [...] One of the longer stories in the book it tells the tale of a man who falls for a beautiful singing automaton at a travelling circus. Rich in character, McKiernan builds a sense of dread throughout the piece, willingly acknowledging to the reader that something bad is going to happen but enticing them to read on."
-HorrorScope review (Mark Smith) [http://ozhorrorscope.blogspot.com/2007/05/review-shadow-plays-australia.html]
- All the Clowns in Clowntown - Macabre: A New Era in Australian Horror (forthcoming 2008)
- Daivadana - In Bad Dreams 2: Where Death Stalks (forthcoming 2008)
- The Haunting that Jack Built - Aurealis #42 (forthcoming 2009)
- Sobek's Tears by Shane Jiraiya Cummings in Aurealis #33/34/35 - Internal Illustration.
- Australian Speculative Fiction: A Genre Overview by Donna Maree Hanson (ISBN 0975721704) - Featured Illustrator
- Aurealis #37 - Cover artist
- In the Arms of Medusa - by Nathan Burrage in Orb #7
- In Bad Dreams Vol.1 - 5 internal black and white plates.
- Shards - Forty Short Sharp Tales written by Shane Jiraiya Cummings and Illustrated by Andrew McKiernan (forthcoming in 2008 from Ticonderoga Publications) - Colour cover plus 40 b/w internal illustrations.
- Shadowed Realms #11 - Reviewed at OzHorrorScope (http://ozhorrorscope.blogspot.com/2006/12/review-shadowed-realm-11-oct-dec-2006.html)
- Shadowed Realms #10 - Reviewed at OzHorrorScope (http://ozhorrorscope.blogspot.com/2006/05/review-shadowed-realms-10.html)
- 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill - Reviewed at OzHorrorScope (http://ozhorrorscope.blogspot.com/2006/04/review-20th-century-ghosts-by-joe-hill.html)
- Shadowed Realms #9 Redback Special Issue- Reviewed at OzHorrorScope (http://ozhorrorscope.blogspot.com/2006/02/review-shadowed-realms-9-redback.html)
- Cell by Stephen King - Reviewed at OzHorrorScope (http://ozhorrorscope.blogspot.com/2006/02/review-cell-by-stephen-king.html)
- Temeraire by Naomi Novik - Review at OzHorrorScope (http://ozhorrorscope.blogspot.com/2006/02/review-temeraire-by-naomi-novik.html)
Website: Kephra Design
LiveJournal: The House of the Golden Beetle
(More images can be found at http://www.kephra.com.au/)
The Rustle of Autumn Leaves
from the forthcoming
Shards - Forty Short, Sharp Tales
Shards - Forty Short, Sharp Tales
cover draft image